Sunday, April 28, 2013

End of the week

I finished up my runs for the week this morning with a 4 mile run.  I did 13.18 miles this week.  How did I get to a place where that doesn't sound like much???  Oh well, that's how it feels and this blog is meant to be a place where I journal how things feel, right?  I am looking forward to eventually adding a 4th run to my weeks, but I'm unsure when I'll do that.  Right now I'm just doing what feels right!

I broke in my purple Brooks PureFlows today.  I've had them for a while, purchased right after I bought my first pair(that I wear on most my runs), but I have just walked in them and not run until today.  Oh and my new blue Pro Compression socks!  I'm not ashamed to admit that I got them in baby blue because they will work for my Cinderella outfit for the Princess!  LOL...yep, already planning that costume over 9 months out!


They were fine, but those tongues on the Pure Flows slip around so much.  I'm not sure what I will do after these 2 pair wear out, I have my eyes on the Altra Torins though.  Anyone have them?  I haven't read great things about the Pure Flow 2's, so I'm doubtful that I will go that direction.  I need some minimalist shoes with low to zero drop but cushion and WIDE. 

Before I ramble off into a shoe post, I'll stop!

It was drizzly and misty this morning, but a nice temperature and I ran at a comfortable pace for my end-of-the-week run.  I was in my head a bit this morning though, couldn't quite relax and just let go of all my thoughts.  I love getting into that near meditative feeling while running, but it didn't really ever arrive this morning.  I was too busy trying to slow myself down, it was supposed to be an "easy" run, after all.  4 miles in 43:47.

Oh, also, I went over my calendar and tried to see if I could find a race for every month.   I have quite a few already, August and September will be the hardest to get one in, I think.  I have a couple friends that are thinking of doing the Princess as well and I'm excited to share the experience with them!  One of them lives about 4 hours from me, so we are thinking of meeting half way for a training run at some point over the summer and maybe even a race! 

That's all I got!  Hope everyone had a nice week/weekend!

How about you?  Questions I have for you...

What kind of shoes do you wear?  Any suggestions for me on the minimalist front? 

 Do you ever just chatter too much in your head when running?  Do you like to think a lot or do you like to zone out/meditate when running? 

Have you ever trained for a big race with a friend or friends?  

8 comments:

  1. I wear Saucony brand shoes...and I'm not sure I'd buy them again. They're comfortable, but I'm just not sure they're the best for my feet. Before I had Adidas brand and I loved them. I do a lot of my best thinking on runs, but my favorite runs are when I lose myself in the music/my footsteps and just run. That's when I feel best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that too, sometimes like this morning though my mind just will not stop going. It was annoying me! I wore Asics previously, before the Plantar Fasciitis, but they were just too much shoe. I really like the feel of the Pure Flows, but they don't make them the same way now and so I'm not sure what I will do when these wear out!

      Delete
  2. I wear Brooks Adrenaline GTS's and I love them! So much so that when you mentioned you had bought a second pair, I went online and bought myself a second pair. Not sure why I didn't think of that before, but thank you! I don't know if they're minimalist (something tells me they aren't), but they have a lot of support and cushion and are pretty wide as well. Lot's of room for the toes.
    My best running comes when I zone out and let my mind wander about other things than running. Unfortunately, it's normally work related and then I get stressed out. :/
    The two Disneyland 1/2s I've done, I've trained with my hubby. We balance each other out- he keeps me going and I control the (slower) pace. This year I'm doing most of my training on my own though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about Adrenalines! I'm glad you bought a 2nd pair, you never know when they will change a shoe and then you are having to search for something different when they do that!

      Delete
  3. I love your compression socks and can't wait to see more of your Cinderella costume!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! I'm still working on it, I'm having trouble finding the right top in the color I want! I already have a Cindy Sparkleskirt that I plan to use, but I've been eyeing tutus as well, so I might change my mind in the next 9 months! LOL!

      Delete
  4. I wear Saucony Shadow Genesis. I'm not sure where they are on the minimalist front, but they are mega roomy. I have trouble finding any shoes that fit nicely. Brooks wides are sometimes too snug. But, not the case with my Genesis! LOVE them! I'm not really a runner, yet. More of a trotter/walker, but they are excellent so far. I've just started using a gym teadmill and I get in my head about how everyone is going soooo much faster. It's obnoxious and it ruins the high I usually get, so I try to focus on the music and having 60 minutes alone (no preschoolers running around) and just chill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever heard of those, but I need a wide shoe as well! Brooks are making me fairly happy right now, we'll see how it goes as my mileage climbs. If you are picking up your feet, you are a runner, don't forget that! :)

      Delete