Wednesday, April 30, 2014

WAW-A Break From Disney

A break from Disney?!?!  I know, you thought I was talking about a break from going, right?  Nevah!  It's just a little Wide-angle Wednesday break from Disney photos.  Instead, I have some concert photos.

This last Monday I took Savannah and a friend to a concert.  Savannah loves music and Christina Perri is a singer/songwriter/musician that is on the top of her list of artists she admires.  We went to see her in 2011 when Savannah was just 11 years old.  This tour for her new album included special VIP meet and greet tickets, I knew we had to get them so she could meet her.  It couldn't have been more magical, dare I say it might have surpassed Disney magic!  Christina was all they had hoped for; talented, humble, friendly, and funny.  There's something special about seeing your kids pick awesome roll models.

I don't want to bore you with all the details, but not only did Savannah meet her, hug her, talk with her, and give her a gift, we were front row center for the concert.  We could have (and the girls did) reach out and touch her we were so close.  In fact, I worried maybe too close for good photos, but I had a blast taking these.  The girls actually cried a couple times (quietly...they aren't crazy screaming/crying fangirls) because they were so overwhelmed by the night.  I really enjoyed seeing them so happy to meet someone they admire and it reminded me why I love to capture these moments with my camera.  They love the photos I got and hopefully it will remind them of their special evening for years to come.  

Ready for WAW overload?!!? Those of you who are my friends on facebook are probably tired of hearing/seeing all this, but it was a special day and special days should be cherished and talked about, right?! Repeatedly. 

First, a selfie...obviously not a great shot photographically speaking, but for memory sake it's priceless.  For me, it's not about taking the "perfect" shot, it's catching that moment in time...


The girls made this for Christina and gave it to her when they met her.  She seemed enchanted by it. 

 Opening the box...

The photo they were so excited to get!
 

Teary-eyed girls.  She signed photos I had taken at the 2011 concert.


 So close, the girls were leaning on the stage!






 Looking right down at the girls, they were beside themselves. 














 I was telling him how much I enjoyed taking and editing these shots and
he suggested I look into shooting more concerts.  I think I enjoyed it more because there was a memory included, but it was a lot of fun.  Sometimes photography can get a bit boring for me (people seem to want a lot of posed/set up shots) and I realized concerts are fun to shoot because there are so many different emotions, facial expressions, and movement going on.  The colors and lighting are fantastic as well!  


Aaaaand, since I have to include what Savannah would say was an unforgettable moment...At the end of the show, Christina told everyone to take selfies (you can see her above taking one) and post them with her hashtag #headorhearttour.  The day after the concert, Christina uploaded 5 photos to her facebook that were her favorites, and Savannah's was one of them. She was really excited about it: 


What about you?  Do you have special photos you cherish of life events?  Do they enhance your memories the way they do mine? Tell me one of your favorite memories that you captured in a photo!








 

14 comments:

  1. That is SO cool y'all got to meet her! I love her music - she has an incredible voice. I absolutely think you should shoot more concerts! You have a great gift in photography Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Lauren! Somehow I don't think I would enjoy it as much if I tried to do it professionally. I'm too critical of my photography and can see glaring errors and things that wouldn't be "professional enough" if I tried to actually get paid for it! LOL

      Delete
  2. What wonderful memories for the girls! I love all my pictures too and the moments they represent. Of course there are our Disney pics and race pics, but then there are more simple pics like me dancing with my pappy at a wedding or cute pics of Baylee. They are all priceless! You did a great job capturing all those memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dancing with your pappy at your wedding brought lovely visions to my mind! <3 I love how photos can capture a moment and suspend it in time!

      Delete
  3. LOVE these photos! So happy the girls had a great time and got to meet one of their role models!! I have loved some race photos, but one of my favorite photos is the picture of me with my first baby sea turtle. It's awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! I don't know if I remember seeing that pic, have you ever posted it???

      Delete
  4. That's such an awesome experience, and you're such a good mom for taking them! All of the photos are absolutely gorgeous too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WAY cool!!!! You are probably the most awesome mom around, your daughter is very lucky! I love all your pictures, the one with the 3 of you is beautiful, you are all so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I wish I was the most awesome Mom, but I've found no matter what you do as a mother, you are still a Mom and never as awesome as you wish you could be. I think Savannah's friends think I'm cooler than she does. LOL

      Delete
  6. Amazing experience and your photos are so gorgeous. These need to be published seriously! Love them, love them, love them! Glad you and the girls had a magical night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April! I was really happy with the shots and love that I could capture them for Savannah...I do think she does really cherish some of the photos I get sometimes. Makes it even more special!

      Delete
  7. I love this post! Your photography is always great but I think my favorite picture is the picture of her taking a bow. I love everything about it!

    Sounds like an amazing time and you girls all look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jaime! I love that shot too. I had so many, I wish I could have shared them all.

      Delete